Friday, May 9, 2008

A Great Year of Teaching

For all the complaints I have about student underachievement, I have to say that this is winding down to be one of the best years of teaching I've ever had.

It started some months ago when I decided to start wearing a suit and tie to work. It was this small act that made me recognize that what I do is more important than just conveying information to bodies in my classroom. First of all, I saw that I am a professional. My students also recognized it. At first many students wondered about my new attire. Then, they started to tell me things like, "Nice tie," and "Nice suit." Students who I've never had in class started to say hello to me and call me by name.

I guess the next thing that changed is that I started to feel for these kids who I was learning had these terrible problems at home, and I formerly had always made it a point to distance myself from that aspect of my interaction with students. I realized that just saying hello to them and calling them by name had a terrific effect on them (and me). Yes, it helps that I know what the heck I'm doing when it comes to what I teach. But I really engaged myself in their accomplishment of the work I assigned to them. Being interested in them, in what they do right and complimenting them again and again has just paid dividends that I never imagined.

Sure, I've been laid off and don't have a job there next year, but what does that have to do with it? These students are mine for 55 minutes a day, and I might be the only bright spot in their day. Could I really do less than my best for them and still consider myself a good Catholic? Would God really accept my argument that because I've been released by the district I have a right to be bitter?

No comments: