Friday, May 16, 2008

Gothic Girl

About a month ago a little 6th Grade student of mine came to me for help with her assignment. I told her what she needed to know and told her to ask a friend if she needed additional help with the concept. I do this because I don't want them to rely solely on me for answers. She then told me that she didn't have any friends. She is cross-eyed and shy, probably as a result of the eyes.

I talked to her about being a friend herself, smiling at others, saying hello, and just generally being a nice person, but it didn't seem to go anywhere with her.

Today this little girl informed me that she was "going Gothic." I asked her why and she said that her friend is Gothic. "Well," I says, "what exactly does that mean?" She told me that she is going to start wearing black and probably dye her hair black, too.

So this poor girl who has no friends has found a friend in a Goth. And what I've learned is that as Goths mature in their Gothhood, many become "Emo." (see 3-11-08 post) And now we're talking about all kinds of antisocial behaviors.

What my little 6th grader needed was a friend, and she found one in a deviant.

No comments: