Tuesday, April 22, 2008

School Budget Woes

I just about fell out of my chair. The school district business guru came to our staff meeting today to tell us all about the district financial problems. It was the usual "not our fault" routine. First was the potential deficit that had been mounting. Then the "action" the district had taken. Then, the terrible flu epidemic that took away funds that they were counting on (you know, less ADA). Finally, the governor delivered the coup de gras with his budget cuts.

Well, I was plum torn between wanting to fall asleep and holding back the tears during this moving discourse. It was truly sad, as if no one there knew financial troubles. But school districts are unique in that they will never have enough, unlike the rest of us who have to meet the hardships by cutting expenses.

The guru talked about certain individuals in the community who help particular schools financially. But while this helps that school, said she, this doesn't help the district. I thought, how does that not help the district? Doesn't that relieve the district of at least some of the funding for that particular school? I think that what she really meant was that the district doesn't get to handle the money first, skimming a little for their own needs.

After about 40 minutes of soul wrenching facts, the guru delivered the answer: raise taxes! But wait, there was more. Teachers could each give $10 a month to the United Way with our own school district as the beneficiary! How the guru could say this with a straight face was indeed a marvel. I wanted to applaud her for it, but that would have been like applauding Hitler as a man of vision.

I think that I'll send out an email to the staff and ask them if, while they are giving money back to the district to help it out of its predicament, maybe they could donate just $1 to my own family fund. I would even go so far as to set up a PayPal account for them to just click and donate. Heck, I'll even give them the credit card option so that they can donate the $1 per month automatically! That way they won't even have to think about it! I can be generous, too.

No comments: