Sunday, April 20, 2008

Housebroken Husbands

I know a lot of people disagree with me on this one. It's the whole issue of men being driven around by their wives. Every time I see a woman behind the wheel and her husband (or boyfriend I suppose) in the passenger seat I just have to wonder what's behind this. Why do so many women drive while their husbands sit back like they're being chauffeured in a stretch limo? Is it a sign that we live in a more equal society? Or are men just "in their place" today after all the oppression of the past? Boy, that's great. "Equal" means women now drive their husbands. That must have taken some ambition.

But something else about this that I can speak to as a teacher. Even on the school database of students, the mother "field" is always listed first. She is the one to contact first about anything pertaining to the student, whether discipline related, illness, injury, etc. Isn't that telling. The mother is the responsible one and the father can be contacted if the mother can't be reached, no doubt to tell him to contact the mother. And so it seems that men are fulfilling that role. Don't expect him to be responsible as the head of the household. Agh! What did I say? The man is the head of the household? That's heresy in education today. If I say that too loudly it could earn me a trip to the unemployment line. Or at least to the fringes of "normal" teachers.

How I long for a society that values women, rather than this hogwash that undermines their God-given beauty as mothers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello Mr. G.,

I remember one overnight business trip I made with two female associates. We had a lot of driving to do and rented a vehicle at the airport. These ladies absolutely refused to let me drive. It was a power and control thing with them. To have a man drive them around would have been demeaning. I finally stopped offering.

I suspect that many husbands are in the same situation with their feminist wives. They can insist on driving and risk another wifely temper tantrum, and possibly weeks of retaliation in front of the children, or they can have peace in their homes and let their wives have their way on this one. I have a degree of sympathy for these poor fellows.

On the other hand, I know a few good families where the husbands and wives simply prefer the arrangement. The wife likes to drive, and the husband doesn't, and everybody's happy.