Friday, March 7, 2008

Friday, March 7, 2008

Well tomorrow is March 8th. My birthday!! I'll be 42 but it seems like I've been saying I'm 42 for some time now.

This past Tuesday I had a parent meeting. I decided to wear a tie and sportcoat to dress it up a little. You know, I haven't worn a coat and tie as a teacher since 2000 when I was a 1st year law student. I didn't stay with law school nor with the coat and tie, but at that meeting I felt professional for the first time in years. So, I decided to wear a coat and tie for the rest of the week. And today I upped the ante and wore a suit.

The students campus wide treated me differently. Many of my own students told me they liked my suit/tie/coat. More students called me by name this past week than any other week this year. Maybe they felt it was a tribute to them. In a way it was...I think I need to show myself a professional through the respect I show to those whom I serve, parents and students.

Whatever the analysis behind it, it felt right to have that coat and tie on.

One female teacher, a brash wannabe New Yorker, a feminist who has the whole campus buffaloed, a humbling example of what rejecting civility will do to a person, walked by me, looked me up and down, and said with contempt, "Look at you all dressed up." I said, "You got a problem with it?" Well maybe I shouldn't have spoken to a woman that way, but I was ticked. All week long I've felt better about what I do than ever. And this elf tried to spoil it all in 4 seconds. In any case, she showed herself a four flusher and backed down like a spanked dog.

I also got "the notice" today. My district is in financial straits so I and several others are laid off. Pray for us. We have been through this several times and St. Joseph has always helped us. Nevertheless, we humbly ask for your prayers for work to provide for our family next school year.

No comments: